Sunday 16 October 2022

Coaster Stories - My 2022 NordTrip

Why do we ride coasters? Is it for the thrills? For the escapism? For forgetting our worries? This is a question which I often ask myself. Time and again, I tell myself that this hobby is too expensive, too unorthodox, too lonely. Yet, time after time, I find myself making a booking for yet another coaster trip. With an injured knee, skyrocketing everything prices and a war going on nearby, I somehow got myself to visit the Theme Parks of Germany, Denmark and Sweden in September 2022.

2022 Coaster Trip Collage

In fact, in this 2022 trip, I told myself that I should spend less time riding coasters compared to past trip. After all, there is so much more to Europe than theme parks. That’s why I only visited 5 theme parks in 2022. I even added a Norway segment without any theme parks. Yet, each day when I was in Norway, I told myself – why didn’t I go to Poland instead. (Energylandia in Poland has 19 coasters). Each day after my last “theme park day” in Kolmården, I feel that … the trip was over … even though it is not.

2022 Trip Norway


Perhaps, by looking at the coaster experiences in the trip, I might just be able to answer the questions above.

5) Rutschebanen – Tivoli Gardens (A)


Rutschebanen Tivoli Gardens

When we think of travelling in Europe, we often think of museums. Yet, can a Roller Coaster be a Museum? Can we relive the coaster experience from the golden era (early 1900s)?

Rutshebanen at Tivoli Gardens is everything old school. I mean, there are no electronic safety systems. The ride is controlled by brakemen. Yes! These brakemen are controlling the speed of the ride while on the ride. The safety bar unlocks even before the train stops, and there are no gates, barriers, whatsoever on the station. This is because Rutschebanen is a classic Scenic Railway built in 1914 – it is not just a ride, it is a piece of history. Not to mention, the airtime, pace and smoothness of this ride is also very good. 

I didn’t know a museum experience could be so immersive or so exciting – let alone come in the form of a roller coaster.

4) Colossus – Heide Park (A+)


Colossus Heide Park

We often hear about the “big 4”. Big 4 artistes (四大天王), big 4 consultants, big 4 ocean liners. Is there also a “big 4” in the coaster world? If there is one, I would wager that it is the 4 Intamin Prefabricated (prefabs) roller coasters – T Express, El Toro, Balder and Colossus. These Prefabs have a reputation for high capacity, intense airtime and intense pacing, and I believe Colossus mostly delivers … except perhaps the pacing part … and only in the afternoon.

However, what happens when the artistes have a feud? Or wants to retire? Or just … quits? This is what happened Prefab coasters. In 2022, Balder is still closed due to mid life refurbishment, El-Toro is closed due to accident, and T-Express is the only good coaster in Korea. This means that Colossus is literally the only one operating. This means, if you want to experience the big 4, you pretty much have go to Heide Park in Germany.

So, by going all the way to Germany to experience the “big 4” coaster, am I no different from those who flock to the big 4 artist concerts?

3) Helix – Liseberg (A+)


Helix Liseberg

We face constraints all the time – time constraints, cost constraints, regulatory constraints. What about self-imposed constraints. Liseberg is a park situated on a hill. The hill is the identity of the park, so any ride that is built on the hill cannot be too tall, too large or overpower the hill. Worse, Liseberg constraints itself that no (alive) trees can be cut down down when building a new ride (or maybe it is a regulation). Under these constraints, what are you going to do?

Well, if we cannot make the ride too tall, why not make it follow closely with the contours of the hill? If we cannot cut down any trees, why not use an old attraction at the top of the hill as the ride station? The result is Helix – a coaster that gives both large inversions and compact twists to fit the mountain, a coaster that drops you right out of the station, a coaster that gives a good balance of airtime, hangtime and speedy elements. So, when we encounter constraints, do we follow the constraints blindly, give up, or do what Liserberg did - innovate?

2) Schwur des Kärnan – Hansa Park (A+)


Schwur des Karnan Hansa Park

King Eric VI was a horrible 13th Century Danish king who was hated by his people. To protect himself, he built an impregnable fortress – the fortress of Kärnan. At least, this is the story for the Schwur des Kärnan roller coaster. Of course, the ride itself has some really intense moments, like a 90 degree 22 storey drop, the “Heart of Kärnan” and some indoor surprises (which I was quite apprehensive about). Yet, the gravity of this ride did not hit me till I visited Lübeck later that same day.

At Lübeck, I visited Marienkirche – an 800-year-old Cathedral (also 13th century). I wondered, why are people of the past so religious. Then, seeing the towering columns and ornate sculptures, something clicked. Perhaps those people are not there because they are pious or fanatical, but just want to be entertained. After all, with all its magnificence and sense of escape, wasn’t this the 13th century equivalent of a theme park? And if so, when I travel to ride a roller coaster, am I not the same as the pilgrims who sought “enlightenment” (read: entertainment) at a far away religious site?

More importantly, if that’s the case, how would people of the future see us coaster fans? Would we be seen as “religious fanatics” by people of the future, just with coasters instead of cathedrals? Would there even be roller coasters 800 years from now – just as how the Marienkirche and the legend of King Eric VI survived 800 years till today?

1) Wildfire – Kolmården Zoo (Top A+)


Wildfire Kolmarden

You are walking though a coniferous forest. The trunks of the pine trees tower over you. You could not even see the forest canopy. It is surreal. It is like the Redwood Forests of the Cascades. No, it is like a dream. Then, the ride itself, suddenly pops up right in front of you as you exit the tiger exhibit, perching on the side of a rock cliff. So imposing, yet so warm and stalwart. You get in, and take a seat. On the lift hill, you finally have a chance to look over the tall forest canopy, and what unravels is … something special.

Wildfire Kolmarden

The coaster itself is also a beauty. It has intense moments, great airtime and really works with the terrain. Not to mention the ride is impeccably smooth – uncommon for wooden coasters.

But this is supposed to be a Zoo, why is there a coaster? Well, think about it. When we were young, why did we want to go to the Zoo? Is it really for the animals, or for the playground, or something else? When you see kids running around the rides, the play structures and the exhibits, you realise that, this is no zoo – it’s the world’s largest children’s playground. It’s a place where children (and adults), while playing, would discover about animals, nature and conservation. Isn’t this the holy grail of education – to learn while playing, to learn by experience, to learn by choice. To me, this is the true beauty of Wildfire, and Kolmården.

The Stories We Tell Ourselves


We travel for many different reasons. To experience something you heard about, or to discover something new. To step out of our comfort zone, or to rest in comfort. But, what is the answer to my question – why we still want to go back and ride roller coasters even though it is expensive and there are seemingly so many better options?

Looking at the stories above, I think I have an answer. And the answer is: we don’t know, or rather, we won’t know. All the insights I gained above would likely not have happened if I have not taken those coasters. And yet, how would I know this at the moment when I click “reserve”? So next time, when you or I click on “reserve tickets”, we know we are not just paying the airtime, the inversions, the G-Forces. We are paying for stories that coasters create for us, and the impact those stories would have on our lives.

See Also: